Reflection or mirror stamping technique ESAD Challenge Part 1

I must admit that I have had reflection or mirror stamping on my "to do" list for many years. I haven't had a great deal of success in the past so have always dismissed it and moved on to another technique. Recently I was asked to teach it at my next class so decided to conquer it!  It is also my turn to set this week's ESAD challenge so I thought I'd see what everyone comes up with using this technique. 

Most people use acetate to stamp the reflection or mirror image but I read somewhere (wish I could remember where!) to use wax paper. You get a crisper image from both outline and solid image stamps and you can use coloured inks as well as black. With acetate I find only outline images and black ink work for me. Wax paper gives you more scope. It still gives a lighter image but it seems more even in colour.

This technique is a great way to get the most out of your stamps. You can use them to easily stamp reflections or mirror images.

Here’s how to do it:

1.      Stamp your image on cardstock.

2.      Re-ink your stamp but this time stamp it on a piece of wax paper. Make sure that you have scrap paper underneath as some of the ink will come through.

3.      Flip the wax paper over and “stamp” it by either lining up underneath (below left) for a reflection or beside (below right) for a mirror image. Rub the wax paper carefully to get a crisp image.


4.      Your images can now be coloured, sponged over or decorated as desired.

5.      Don’t limit yourself to just images – try words and sentiments for a fun look. You can use the same ink colour and stamp off before stamping the reflection or just use a lighter colour ink as I have done below.

I love the effect you get when you use the Layered Letters Alphabet set.
 
 
 
 
 
Use Sheltering Tree and the bird from Made with Love to build up a scene.
 

Make sure to stamp inside the card for added effect.

Come back over then next few days to see part 2 and learn about the surprise in the card that I entered in the Just Add Ink JAI #271 challenge.

To make these cards you will need these stamp sets from Stampin' Up!:
 
Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog


Comments